Thursday, April 5, 2007

Two In The Can

The first two songs from the soundtrack have officially been recorded!

A few weeks back, Bry Webb from The Constantines came by Dave MacKinnon's studio (FemBots) and recorded two new songs, Positive People and Big Smoke. Back in October while we were still in pre-production on the film, Bry sent me a demo of Positive People within 3 days of reading the script. I was blown away. We hadn't even started shooting yet and we already had a theme song. The lyric, "Postures of defeat", became an iconic anthem for the way I viewed several of the scenes.

Over the next couple of months Bry also sent me demos for two other new tunes, Big Smoke and AM Blues (which may also end up on the soundtrack). I liked the demos so much I'm thinking of using a mix of both the demo of Big Smoke as well as the newly recorded version.




(Bry Webb recording Big Smoke at Junkshop)

I'm hoping we'll be able to get The Constantines to write a song for the film as well...we'll have to see how things progress with their new record though.

I plan on shooting Behind The Scenes footage for all of these recording sessions. I have no idea what it will amount to, but the calibre of artists we're working is just stunning...I feel compelled to document it. Maybe it'll end up a DVD or companion to the soundtrack. Who knows.

COMING UP NEXT WEEK: The Sunparlour Players will be coming into the studio to record a great new song, Bless This City, full of revival tent fervour, that Andrew Penner wrote for us. The FemBots are also making progress with the scoring of the film. I just received a demo for a chase scene that was really exciting. We're also doing a bit of an experiment with drummer Blake Howard from Rock Plaza Central. We're going to record him doing a live improvised score to the ENTIRE FILM. Some will be crap. Some will be brilliant. Can't wait to see what's what!

No comments: